BCGECSS WINDUP TOURNAMENT: AUGUST 6, 2022
BCGECSS Windup Tournament Schedule: REVISED August 4, 2022 (PDF)
Note: This is the revised schedule (August 4). It has been altered to move all the bye games into the Velodrome. This affects the location of three games, which are highlighted in red in the spreadsheet. No game TIMES are changed.
- Location: Juan de Fuca fields
- Three games of 60 minutes, half field, seven aside
- Game times: 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm
- Long break for lunch and annual general meeting
- A beer garden is being planned: invite a friend or partner.
- In this 7 vs 7 format, each team must have at least three women on the field at all times.
- All playing rules are the same, except that there are no offsides.
- Net sizes will be different on different fields. (Westshore has four sets of minis.)
- See also the notes in the schedule.
BCGECSS ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM): AUGUST 6, 2022
See Documents and Forms for the 2022 AGM minutes, treasurer's report and vice president's report.
TEAMS, LEAGUE CULTURE AND PERKS
18 teams are confirmed this season. There will be nine league games a week. Labour Rangers are returning. Forests have withdrawn after 40+ years.
To foster the feeling of fun, no standings or scoring records are kept. Instead, we will be returning to season-end awards for the "Friendliest Team" and the "Classiest Players" (the female and male player who best combine sportsmanship and skill, voted on the by referees). Both awards are hallmarks upon which the league was founded. They will be presented at the end of the season, as they were pre-Covid.
This year we are happy to confirm that each team will get a game ball.
BCGECSS 2022 Schedule (Excel)
BCGECSS 2022 Schedule (PDF)
- The schedule is for 16 weeks (April 19 to August 4).
- Each game will be against a new team, on a Tuesday or Thursday.
- Games beyond this time will depend on the number of teams and nature of the windup event on August 6-7 at Juan de Fuca. This will be discussed in the early part of the season, as will decisions about which teams will participate.
We will be starting the season on school grass fields:
- 2 games/wk at Arbutus, Mt Doug, Lower Claremont and Victor Brodeur.
- 1 Thursday game at Monterey School (similar to Arbutus).
We will shift to turf as it becomes available:
- Braefoot: 2 games/wk, starting June 21.
- UVic: 6 games/wk, starting June 21.
- PISE: 1 game/wk, starting July 5.
Referees have a full roster, including two new provincially accredited female referees.
The Executive has set fees at $2000, and will risk manage any cost increases against league reserves.
The 2022 season started with one of the last scrimmages available on Finlayson turf, on Wednesday April 20. We have now moved to Mondays from 7:00 to 8:00 pm at Arbutus School. Due to field conditions and significant cost savings, we are relocating to Victor Brodeur School on May 3rd. For more information, see Over-40s Co-ed Scrimmage
APPROACH TO COVID AND VACCINATION
Despite the lessening of some public health measures, the league will encourages players and officials to be fully vaccinated and take prudent measures to protect their own and others' health. (E.g., Not attending if they feel unwell or have been exposed to COVID.)
The Executive thinks we have the makings of a great season, and are looking forward to seeing you on the pitch!
Brent Mueller, President
Hu Wallis, Vice President
James Chaney, Secretary
Gareth Crisp, Treasurer
Al Moir, Head Referee
Jim Campbell, Registrar